Sunday, January 22, 2023

It's been a weird time

 I am still recovering from the past 2 years. I hope you've gotten through at least more or less intact. My iPad died and now I have an Android tablet. This means I also lost my tablet keyboard. I have an older iPad and according to Apple it couldn't handle the latest iOS and so nothing would update. It's a matter of time before it's a brick, I guess.

I also got a new phone. My previous provider's support was a crapshoot & I got tired of that. Alas, it also didn't permit me to keep my phone number. For literally the 1st time in my life, I have a new area code. It's a silly thing to bother me, but it does. 

I did finally finish my 2019 temperature scarf last year. Of course, I entered it in the State Fair (clothing accessory - other) & happy me, I won first place. Although it was funny when I was dropping it off, a volunteer tentatively asked, 'does this need a swatch?' as crochet and knitted scarves do need swatches. 

There was a scandal (I'm not sure where) about people buying a crochet or knit scarf, cutting the tag off, and entering it into competition. If you also provide a swatch, it means you made it. And the swatch is the reason I didn't enter my first hand spun (on electric wheel) yarn knitted into a scarf. I had about 6" of yarn left, aka no swatch.

Before I was done, I wrote an article for IOLA about my process and the picture was on the back cover!


I also entered a pair earrings designed by Phyllis Schmidt (fantail earrings)


My other entries scrap bag (designed by Karey Solomon from Bring on the Buttons) 

snowflake ornament (from the same book) - using vintage shank button & metallic thread

and framed Beginner's Doily by Shade Tree Designer did not win.

I've started a 2022 scarf (thanks Twisted Picot, formerly Black Sheep Fiber Emporium) & I also got those 2 lovely edging keepers from them.

My job is the same old same old. Although my office did have a leak in early November. I'm still trying to get my office back into shape.  

 

And if you're a gamer who enjoys D&D, do you have feelings about WotC recent actions?

 

No comments: