Tuesday, March 31, 2015

NC Regional Lacemakers and other stuff

Saturday was the yearly meeting of the NC Regional Lacemakers. I finished the last baby bootie. I attended Karen Kurella's talk about what to do with old lace and how to identify machine made versus handmade. There were many of the local tatters there and Tatting Corner came down from Indiana. I think we may have made it worth the drive, even with it only being for one day.

I have decided what to make for my State Fair project. I have a lovely, lightweight cotton scarf/wrap in blues, purple and pink. I found thread to match and I'm going to put an edging on both ends. It needs the weight to keep it from floating off. The edging is number 18 from Anne Orr's book number 13. I'll be using silver/white beads for a little extra weight. Optional, add motifs to the corners.

I recommended Kaye Judt's Oh My Stars to a new tatter. It's quite nice for its stage by stage pattern progression. The first star is very simple, rings and chains. It includes front side, back side tatting; pictot-size, etc. Each pattern introduces a new technique. The new tatter got started and was absolutely thrilled with it.

I got to show off my bead spinner. I used it to load the beads for my new edging. I also told how to make one, per Martha Ess's instructions from the 2013 Palmetto Tat Days.

I did not get as much done on Sunday as I had planned. I still need to mend that skirt. However, I cannot find my Gingher embroidery scissors! I hope I haven't really lost them, that I just dropped them in my living room (under the couch, maybe?).

Thursday's Deadlands game went well. Our steamship departed Shan Fan in something of a hurry and the captain was working on ways to smooth over things with the city government so she could go back. She planned to do so by faking our deaths. There goes a set of Alis's clothes. We had just reached a comparatively peaceful pool of water, after a somewhat harrowing passage through rough water, when a maze dragon attacked. Those things are pretty much bulletproof, but their eyes are still vulnerable. And they are not really-big-rock proof, as the Doctor (mad scientist) proved when he dropped one on it.

I'm currently working my way through the Phryne Fisher mysteries by Kerry Greenwood. I enjoy them, even if I have to work out some of the words from their context. Or look them up in a dictionary. 1920's era Australian slang is just a touch different than early 21st century American slang. I've read the books before, I'm re-reading.

I took this picture outside the Seymour Center (where NCRL had their meeting). I posted it on G+ for my friends who are feeling spring-deprived.

No comments: