Tuesday, July 14, 2015

"New" iPad

I found an iPad at a pawn shop. It cost as much as 16GB iPad Air but it has 128GB. On the downside, my restore from backup screwed up. On the bright side, I did find a back up to use. It's 11 months old but it's better than nothing.

I'm supposed to be running at a small con in Cary in two weeks. I think I should read the adventure. I downloaded it to my iPad today. It's a great con for charity and I always have fun.

I took some pictures of flowers after the recent round of storms. Aren't they lovely? It's great being able to take pictures again.
rose





crepe myrtle





















I went to visit mom this past weekend. I'm still trying to figure out how to copy VHS to DVD. I'm not sure why it didn't work. I'm going to try with my tape player tonight.

Edging report: 38" made...the end is in sight.

Now for a serious subject. Racial colorblindness:

When white people say "I'm colorblind" they are succumbing to a fallacy. I've done so myself, so I know whereof I speak. You mean, "I don't let someone's race influence me." But what we're really saying is, "I am unaware of my own privilege."


I was thinking of a co-worker today; this coworker is one I haven't seen more than a few times. I was trying to remember what this person looks like and the thought "oh, right, African-American, guess I'm colorblind." Then my second thought was, "that's stupid. There's no such thing," and I analyzed that.

Because I'm white, I don't have to think about race. Society treats me as the default. Ignoring someone else's race isn't giving them equal treatment. It's erasing their identity and their experiences. I can go to almost any store and get appropriate hair products. An African-American woman looks in the 'ethnic' aisle. If the stores aren't colorblind, how can I be?




No comments: