Friday, October 03, 2003

And it's a beautiful Friday morning. It's crisp & sunny & cold & guess who forgot to find gloves this morning? So my fingers are finally warming up, after being at work for awhile.

Washed my hair last night (hey, nothing on tv until 8pm & I'd already eaten supper). I braided it before I went to bed; it was merely damp by that point. It's still damp this morning; I haven't taken it out of the braid yet.

Yesterday I wrote to my Aunt Lillian. Technically she's my great-aunt but she's close in age to my mother. She's married to my grandfather's youngest brother, who's 20 years younger than my grandfather. I wrote her asking for some family info. I mean, I don't even know the names of all my grandfather's siblings. In my defense, there were 11 of them. I can clearly recall meeting about only 4 or 5 of them. And I don't know the names of my paternal grandmother's sibling (6 sibs plus grandmother). My paternal grandfather only had the one brother, that makes it easy. I don't know any of the names of my maternal grandmother's siblings. I should, she didn't have that many.

Last night I did some on-line genealogy stuff. Found 3 of my great-great-grandparents in the 1880 census (& possibly one sibling of a great-grandparent). That was really cool. So now I know that gg-grandpa Veesart was a laborer. Whatever that means. I thought his wife was from Belgium but she's listed as being born in Illinois, not that the census gauranteed accurate. Her parents are listed as being born in Lorraine. I think that's Alsace-Lorraine. It did confirm that he was from Holland, as my Dad remembered.

Hmm, can you tell that genealogy fascinates me? I also found where someone has done a lot of research on my maternal's paternal line. If it's accurate (her email bounced so I can't ask her), then her family has been in NC 250 years. Wow. Of course, they used to be farther east back then, Cumberland Co.

No comments: