Wednesday, October 18, 2023

More from the Fair

 My partner and I went to the Fair the Monday of the fair. My tablet was almost out of battery power so I took pictures with my phone.

Sign for The Birdman World class bird show, camo background
I had my car inspected before we left, which took longer than I expected (meh, it happens). After we grabbed lunch, we went to the Birdman show. Due to the sensitivity of the birds, they are a bit distant from the rest of the fair. We had to ask directions twice to find it.
Birdman exiting trailer of animal crates, holding a bird

Birdman holding up spectacle owl's face to get her to face crowd
She kept getting distracted by the nearby steam-powered saw mill
Birdman holding bateleur eagle, who has outspread wings
Big and pretty. The name is apparently French for tumbler or acrobat, based on the way the eagle's wings move like a tumbler using a balance pole on a high wire. And apparently the bird occasionally just flips into a barrel roll.
Andean condor with wings partially spread
Condors are really, really big.
Birdman holding a macaw

The show was at the NC Forestry Service exhibits.

Noisy, steam powered sawmill.


Yes, this is a video of the sawmill in action. I don't know what they were cutting, but it smelled like oranges.

Metal disk on stand with 2 sights
This was the Osborne Firefinder, the sighting device used by fire spotters to accurately locate fires, triangulating with other fire spotters. It was part of a display about fire towers.
cloud dappled sunset over Fair Ground building
It was such a pretty sky as the sun started to descend.


No comments: