Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Darkness Fell, and it was cool (literally and figuratively)

Last week, I went through some of the stuff in mom's car and took it to Goodwill. There's more yet, but it was so hot I couldn't stay out there for long and I wasn't going to bring it in the house just to take it out again.

On Saturday, I forgot to take my Civic to get the oil changed. It's not desperate, but the warning light is on. I'm just driving mom's car until I get a chance to handle that. And I have plans the next 3 weekends. I need to call the inspection place to see if I can get a ride to the bus stop and after work. If so, I can get it done on a weekday.

Saturday, I drove to  Chapel Hill to get my friend C.M. She's not been the best, healthwise and her husband has been worse. I offered to give her a ride to the tatting meeting if she wanted to join me. She finally took me up on my offer. Her son came with us, mostly to get out of the house and be there in case his mom needed some help I couldn't provide.

We went to lunch and then to the meeting. I'm not sure how much C.M. really learned, although she did finish a ring, with good tension, too. She said she needs to practice under circumstances better suited to concentration. The meeting went well. Thirteen people, not including CM's son, were there. Leigh of SomthingUndertheBed.com had some new books to show off. I made progress on the bracelet for Palmetto. Until the most recent ring decided not close. I haven't been able to close it since, either. I don't want to cut the ring and start it over, but I may have to.

Sunday was errands. I got some laundry done and CD and I did some running around. Our Starfinder books are arriving today, so we went ahead and paid for them on Sunday. We just need to pick them up.

Yesterday, of course, was the solar eclipse. I didn't go to where I could see the totality, but it hit 93% here. I signed up as one of NASA's citizen scientists. Though, I wasn't able to take temperature readings all morning, because I had to work. And giving my thermometer time to register the outdoor temperature took a few minutes, each time. I took vacation time to be out there a couple hours before the eclipse and a couple hours after.

solar eclipse in my office, thanks to my boss
I went to a local solar eclipse activity (buttons and making pinhole cameras). I made a couple buttons but not the pinhole camera, because one of my coworkers got a pair of eclipse glasses for me. Alas, my iPad ran out of battery power only an hour after the eclipse.


I took some pictures. There was one I really wanted to take, but I couldn't hold my fingers in the makeshift pinhole camera formation and take the picture. My new coworker joined me for a few minutes before and after she had to be on a conference call.
tree leaves acting like pinhole cameras

it's hard to take a selfie when you can't see

sun and shadows



glasses, thermometer, after the eclipse
 the temperature fell from about 32C to not quite 28C, and you could stand in 'full sun' without baking
a few minutes after
I wish I had thought to bring a colander

No comments: