Sunday, August 13, 2017

RPGaday2017 day 13

#RPGaday2017 day 13
Describe a game experience that changed how you play.

I had to really think about this one. I couldn't come up with an obvious answer. I mean, heavy story and roleplay games like Fate have influenced me, but I've always been into roleplay at varying levels, even when the rules didn't explicitly support it.

I think it was running Shadowrun in college. For the first time it was game none of us knew particularly well, and we were all learning the game as we played. We could either stop the game to look up the rule (and we did that sometimes) or I could make a ruling and we'd look it up later.

I learned that my game experience is improved if we concentrate on having fun instead of knowing every single rule in the book (complete with page and paragraph). It's helpful having someone at the table with that kind of knowledge, but if you don't have it, keep rolling.


No comments: