Monday, August 14, 2017

RPGaday2017 day 14

#RPGaday2017 day 14
What RPG do you prefer for open-ended campaign play?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Open-ended versus a module or published adventure? Open-ended versus a pre-scripted plot (ie here's the big bad, the campaign consists of stopping it/them*)?

By open-ended, as in 'here's the game world, here are some plot hooks; what do you want to do?' and the GM or narrator or whatever just kind of flows with whatever the players do (**)? Or open-ended as in 'play until we get tired of the characters' (****) or someone moves away?

I don't think that there's one I prefer for 'open-ended'. I think most RPGs can be played open-ended, by any of those definitions; it depends on the group and the GM. A game with a rich world setting is easier to play open-ended (like Runequest) but if the GM puts some hard work into it, they can fill in any blanks, to suit their own purposes and story ideas (like Wizards Realm).


* like the Mage game that consisted of foiling a nephandi invasion of Earth
**like the GM who found the PCs following a plot-hook he'd planted for when they were 5 levels higher***
***Middle Earth RolePlaying game, if you're interested
**** my high school D&D group

I haven't put links in for any of the games I've mentioned. If you read this, and want links, leave a comment and I'll edit this post to add them.

No comments: